Wednesday, February 23, 2005

7. Dan Flavin A Retrospective @ The National Gallery of Art, Washington DC


Dan Flavin
untitled (to you, Heiner, with admiration and affection)
1973
National Gallery of Art


My wife Erica and I brought my family to see this show when we visited them in DC over Thanksgiving. I think having them there made it all the more interesting hearing a family member say "it's just a light," but on turning a corner sighing in awe at the light rather than the bulb. Perhaps the most ambitious and impressive is the main work from 1973 untitled (to you, Heiner, with admiration and affection) installed alongside the windows of I.M.Pei's building. Not to mention rooms designed specifically for the show housing forty-four works and drawings. A solid exhibition.

Editor's note: Dan Flavin, A Retrospective will be on view at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, July 1 - October 30, 2005

No comments: